POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question to Kari about his glassware : Re: Question to Kari about his glassware Server Time
7 Aug 2024 15:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Question to Kari about his glassware
From: Rune
Date: 11 Oct 2001 17:21:06
Message: <3bc60d42@news.povray.org>
"Trevor Quayle" wrote:
> I have been using a white sphere with a high ambient value
> (say 100) with global ambient set to 1. All other textures
> have ambient set explicitly to 0.  This seems to work as I
> want it to for shiny surfaces. I'm still working on a way
> to get a blurred reflection.

Using a normal scaled very small combined with heavy antialiasing would work
if POV-Ray did antialiasing before doing color-clipping to the 0-1 range.

But because POV-Ray do color-clipping before antialiasing, this doesn't
work.

This may sound bad, but there's a reason that POV-Ray works this way. If it
did color-clipping after antialiasing, it would mean that very bright
objects in the scene would not be properly antialiased because the bright
samples in an antialiased pixel would completely outweigh the dim samples,
even if there are more dim samples.

So unfortunately I see no solution...

Rune
Rune's World:    http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk (updated June 26)